The following 19-minute documentary takes a look at some of the challenges facing the state of Colorado subsequent to the legalization of marijuana. I encourage you to find time to watch it, as we would do well to consider the experience of those who have traveled down this road already.
From the video:
- “The crime increase surrounding the influx of pot is off the charts.” (Tim Twining, Senior Chief Deputy District Attorney, Denver)
- “We’re seeing armed robberies, shootings, and use just going off the charts.” (Tim Twining, Senior Chief Deputy District Attorney, Denver)
- “As of 2017, pot addiction is the top reason kids and teens in the United States are admitted for substance abuse.”
- “Marijuana related incidences have lead to a 117 increase in ER visits in Colorado.”
- The head of the neo-natal unit at the second-largest Pueblo Colorado hospital is reporting a dramatic increase of newborns with marijuana in their system.
- Children who have exposure to marijuana before they’re born have a lower IQ at age 5, they have more behavioural problems, there’s more depression at age 10; they have lower school achievement as well. And then at age 14, unfortunately, they are more likely to use substances themselves.